Thursday, September 13, 2012

On Pregnancy and Beauty

I admit I'm not the best person to give beauty advice to anyone. My skin is an icky combination of oily, dry, sensitive, and acne-prone. Some products work one moment and make me breakout the next. It got worse when I got pregnant, I had rashes on my tummy and on my neck. The rashes on my tummy already disappeared but the one on my neck is still there. My OB and everyone assured me it's normal but it's still annoying.

To lessen my annoyance, I decided to simplify my toiletries and only wear make-up on special occasions (which I don't wear all the time anyway). I stopped using anti-acne treatments except for tea tree oil. I gave away my hair removal cream and decided to stick to shaving for the meantime.

When shopping for beauty products, I took note of these guidelines:
  1. Products should preferably have only 10 ingredients or less
  2. Avoid scary sounding ingredients (phthalates, parabens, formaldehyde, sulfates etc.)
  3. Buy organic and local as much as possible
EchoStore and Sesou Nature Source are very good places to start. They often have everything you need. You can also find organic local brands in any supermarket (like the good ol' gugo shampoo) but you have to be extra vigilant.

I'd like to share what I currently use (and so far all of them works well for me) in case you get overwhelmed while shopping ;)



Hair

Finesse Clean + Simple Hypoallergenic Shampoo and Conditioner - found these in PCX Rockwell. Reasonably-priced and doesn't give me dandruff (super plus points!)

Lauat Herbal Treatment Shampoo and Leave-on Conditioner - anti-hair fall treatment. Available in any leading supermarket.

Face

Ilog Maria Glycerin Face Soap - I love how clean and refreshed I feel after using this. I love their Spearmint and Oatmeal soap as well but it's always sold out :( 

Human Nature Balancing Toner - good for oily skin

Leyende Face Canvas Moisturizer - I use this sparingly since I got pregnant. The mango-cocoa scent I once loved is too strong for me now.


Body 

Cyleina Black Pearl Supreme - one of our high school batchmates owns the company and her soaps were giveaways during our reunion. Its scent reminds me of Lush's Honey I Washed the Kids for some reason. 

All Organics Feminine Wash - for "down there" ;p


Dove Go Fresh Grapefruit and Lemongrass - for yoga and outdoor days 

Vanilla & Co. Pure Shea and Cocoa Whipped Buttercream in Sweet Pea - smells heavenly! I slather on a lot on my tummy and hip area to prevent stretch marks

I hope I didn't miss anything! What's your preggy beauty routine? :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment